In making paint cakes and watercolor liquid, I was unsure of what to use from my own pantry to create a variety of colors. I knew, from the start, that I wanted to create a yellow hue but i did not know what to use. From what I gathered, I used dried strawberries, hard chocolate for cooking, and parsley. In addition to my own, I used a few of the shared class materials, which are paprika, marigold, and mudder. For a non-cake paint, I also used indigo mixed with water for a dark shade to use. The overall process was nice since I had to look for what could be made into a cake.
Each color produced a hue I didn’t expect. With the strawberry, I got a muted, rust red with a few strawberry seed texture. The chocolate made a light tan color, depending on the amount of water used. The parsley hardly had a solid green color but it was still obvious enough to use. The marigold gave me a nice shade of yellow to use and hoping to get. The other two, paprika and mudder, I combined them to get a light tan and a reddish tan. The parsley color was the only one to leave behind a texture of some of the leaves because it was hard to refine it to a powder.
Throughout the paint making process, I was not thinking about exactly what I would be painting with them. I wanted to see how the colors would turn out before immediately deciding what I wanted to do. All the colors gave me a pale aesthetic of nature, mainly the colors of the countryside. It reminded me of something comforting with the soft appearance of the colors. A concept that came to mind was different types of chickens on their own. Some of the colors, like the marigold, paprika, and strawberry all lend themselves as good colors to illustrate the colors of chickens. I specifically chose Brahma, RhodeIsland red, and Orpington chickens since they all had similar colors to my palette. Overall, the process was fun to do since I rarely do projects with making the color palette and going from there.